Wednesday, February 3, 2016

TCMFF Top 5

With yesterday's announcement from TCM, we now have a total of 13 films announced for the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival (TCMFF), April 28-May 1 in Hollywood. At this point, I thought I should do my top 5 picks of what's been announced so far. I did this last year as well, but kept revising it as more and more films were announced. I promise I won't be as bad this year.

No. 5. The King and I (1956). Me, I'm not a musical fan. That said, there are about a dozen of them that I really love. The King and I falls pretty high on that list.

No. 4. Horse Feathers (1932). The Marx Brothers on the big screen at TCMFF. Do I need to say more?

No. 3. Trapeze (1956). It seem like one time every year at TCMFF, there is one screening I go to because of the celebrity announcing it. Trapeze with Gina Lollobrigida introducing the film, that will probably be it. Maybe, I just have a thing for hot Italian, women.... In their 80s. You have no right to judge me.

No. 2. The Kid (1921). I love Charlie Chaplin, and a new restoration of The Kid, that's gotta be a must see. At least, until the full schedule drops and all of this speculation goes out the window.

No. 1. The Endless Summer (1966). If you were only to see one movie about surfing your whole life, Bruce Brown's The Endless Summer should be it. Getting to see it on the big screen with Bruce Brown introducing is gonna be a treat. Brown's low key narration provides humor and turns this from a great collection of surf footage into an adventure story about a couple of young surfers sharing their love of surfing with the world. Brown said that early on, everyone told him that the film would never play 50 miles from the ocean. To prove them wrong, he took the film to Witchita, Kansas, where lined up in the snow and sold out shows for weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment