Wednesday, March 29, 2023

TCMFF Madness, Baby – 2023

The schedule has dropped for the TCM Classic Film Festival (TCMFF) April 13–16, 2023. As usual, I'll be doing my picks in NCAA tournament format brackets. Once again, my daughter, now 23, will not be attending this year. She is working full time and in college part-time.

Thursday

Early Evening

In the Thursday early evening matchup, my media pass does not get me into the Opening night screening of Rio Bravo. Under normal circumstances, putting Rio Bravo up against and Shadow of a Doubt or Airport would be a no-brainer, but the addition Angie Dickenson would make it tough, but I don't get in, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Looking at the top bracket, Ikiru would be in the running, but not against Shadow of a Doubt. In the lower bracket, Airport is my clear favorite. I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid, one of the first grown-up movies I saw in the theater as a kid, so there's some nostalgia there. The competition here, Hairspray, I saw it back when, thought it was okay. The main reason I would go see it would be for Mario Cantone, but that's not enough to beat out Airport. One Way Passage would be strong contender in most blocks, but sadly not here. That leaves Shadow of a Doubt up against Airport, my toughest call of the whole festival, but Joseph Cotten is going to make me call uncle as Uncle Charlie.

Thursday Early Evening


Late Evening

This block was not much of a choice for me. I like The Wild One. Genevieve might fare better in a different block, and who knows, it might turn up in one of the TBA blocks on Sunday. The thing is I love That Touch of Mink. I love Cary Grant. I love Doris Day. I love 1960s sex comedies where no one has sex. That Touch of Mink wins hands down. 

Thursday Late Evening

Friday

Morning

The competition in this block is insane. All are ones that I would want to see under normal circumstances. In the upper bracket, my top two are King Kong and Bicycle Thieves, with the latter moving forward, mostly because King Kong was one of the last movies I saw in the theater as a Fathom Events screening right before the lockdown. In the lower bracket, The Wild Bunch in 70 mm is tempting, but Harvey touches my soul in a way that few movies do, and it easily moves forward and handles Bicycle Thieves for the win.

Friday Morning

Mid-Day

Another block with very tough competition. I want to see all of them. I'm not going to fuss over the details here. It really comes down to two things, Busby Berkeley and young Joan Blondell. Noting else stood a chance here.

Friday Mid-Day

Afternoon

Under most circumstances, Cool Hand Luke would be the clear winner here, but this block is all about timing for me. The later start of Blood on the Moon hopefully will give me enough time to hit the line early enough to catch a film in the dreaded Multiplex House 4, and the early end I hope will give me the time to catch a quick bite and change clothes before the evening's festivities.

Friday Afternoon


Early Evening

Another tough block for me, in the upper bracket, American Graffiti, my favorite George Lucas movie advances easily. In the lower block, Beach Party would be the clear winner, but as is often the case with poolside movies, it messes up the following block, and I don't think that works for me. The Killers against The Three Musketeers, I'm going with the The Killers to give me more time to get to my next film, and the later start time helps me in the previous block, so The Killers edges American Graffiti. Still, there is a chance that I might skipped this block entirely for a real meal.

Friday Early Evening


Late Evening

In the top bracket, House of Wax is the only serious competition for Ball of Fire, but 3D is a deal-breaker for me, always makes me nauseous. Not a big fan of Ocean's 11, I'm not sure why. I like pretty much everyone in it, just the movie always left me a little flat. I more or less feel the same way about the original. Twelve Angry Men moves forward easily, only to be taken out by a small and wiry Barbara Stanwyck. Also, I'm a bit concerned of getting locked out on Ball of Fire in the small theater, but I think I would have enough time to make it to the Legion Theater and 12 Angry Men as a plan B.

Friday Late Evening


Midnight

I think I'm just going to make an audible on this one, see what I feel like in the moment and go with whatever feels right.

Friday Midnight


Saturday

Morning

For me, there are two musicals I like a lot better than all the rest. The first is Guys and Dolls, and the second is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  Add to that, Russ Tamblyn in attendance, and there really is no choice here, Seven Bride for Seven Brothers.

Saturday Morning


Mid-Day

As 1950s Sci-Fi goes, When Worlds Collide is not very high on my list, but the Academy Conversations that Craig Barron and Ben Burtt do are about as close to a must-see as anything on the TCMFF Schedule. Missing Bless this Mess: Laurel and Hardy shorts is going to cause some heartache, as is missing The African Queen at the Chinese IMAX. I don't know what Craig Barron and Ben Burtt have in store, but I want to be there. Now the question is how do I get there. The window between Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and When Worlds Collide is only a half hour. In years past, we made a window that short from The Egyptian to the Multiplex, but I've never attempted Chinese IMAX to the Legion Theater in that time. I haven't heard whether there is a shuttle to the Legion this year. I didn't take the shuttle last year, but if they have one, and I can manage to step aboard a shuttle right after exiting the Chinese, I'll do that. Otherwise, I'm bringing my skateboard. You may think I'm kidding. I am not. I don't have the leg strength or the lungs to push up the hill to the Legion, but I'm sure I can shave enough time off the walk between the Chinese and the Franklin and Highland intersection to make it worthwhile. Anyone know if there is a side door out of the Chinese? Otherwise, I may be sitting way in the back to get out quickly.

Saturday Mid-Day


Afternoon

Crossing Delancey is just a delightful film. That's all I'm going to say here.

Saturday Afternoon


Okay, I do have one more thing to say. There seems to be a Mexican restaurant right next to the Legion. Anyone want to see how fast we can get them to rustle up some tacos between 1:30 and 2:30?

Early Evening

This is a very weird block for me. I kind of want to see everything, but I don't really want to see any of them with the exception of A Mighty Wind, mostly because Michael McKeon is going to be there. The plan is go back to the hotel, changes clothes, have a real meal, and then get back to then get back to the Roosevelt early enough to get a decent seat for A Mighty Wind. I might even leave early to catch Enter the Dragon.

Saturday Early Evening


Late Evening

This block all depends on what happens at A Mighty Wind. If I stay to the end, I won't make any of the films in the next block. If I decide to leave A Mighty Wind early, I will do Enter the Dragon. I guess it all depends on whether I can get my nunchucks back from the cleaner on time. Otherwise, I might just hang out at the Roosevelt, drink, and decide whether or not I can make it to Xanadu at midnight. Also I am intrigued by the TBA at the Chinese. Possibly, that could change everything.

Saturday Late Evening



Midnight

Xanadu [spoiler alert]: It's not what most people would consider good. However, I do like the Electric Light Orchestra portion of the soundtrack, and it might be fun, drunk, as a Midnight movie. Like the Friday midnight movie, I think I'm just going to leave this open and see what happens.

Saturday Midnight


Sunday

Morning

Okay, I know the grid makes no sense here, but that's because it's a total tossup among Jason and the Argonauts, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Mister Roberts. I'm going to give a slight edge to Jason and the Argonauts or The Man Who Knew Too Much, because then I wouldn't have to walk up the hill to the Legion Theater. By Sunday, my feet will thank me.

Sunday Morning


Mid-Day

On any other day against any other film but Casablanca, The Red Shoes would win here.

Sunday Mid-Day


Afternoon

The tough choice here is between All about Eve and Stand and Deliver. I like All about Eve way better than Stand and Deliver, but Edward James Olmos, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Luis Reyes. Then The Music Man takes out All about Eve, because I saw All about Eve in the theater a few years ago. The real tough choice will be when they announce the TBAs. Any of the three are fairly likely to blow The Music Man out of the water.

Sunday Afternoon


Early Evening

In this block, I really want to see Lawrence Kasdan, but I would much rather see Body Heat than The Big Chill, so I'm going with A Shot in the Dark, just to be petty. In the lower bracket, Clash of Wolves is something I never thought would go this far, but it takes out A Shot in the Dark, mostly, because it's a silent film with live accompaniment. That said, I think either of the TBAs here stand a good shot here, especially if they give more time to grab a bite and change before the closing night party.

Sunday Evening



2 comments:

  1. I always love reading about the plans of my fellow festgoers, Chris, but this was so entertaining and creative! Loved it. See you at Blood on the Moon and Seven Brides!

    ReplyDelete