Sunday, April 10, 2022

TCMFF Madness, Baby – 2022

The schedule has dropped for the TCM Classic Film Festival (TCMFF) April 21–24, 2022. As usual, I'll be doing my picks in NCAA tournament format brackets. Sadly, my daughter, now 22, how did that happen, will not be attending this year. She is still taking a break from college. She hated Zoom school and is now working close to full-time, and plans to start up college again in the Fall. This year, my wife, Mary, will be attending (her third TCMFF after attending in 2016 and 2019). We have fairly similar tastes, but I'm sure there are going to be spots on the schedule, where she's going to go, I don't want to see that or vice versa.

This year, there were fewer blocks that I really agonized over than in previous years. I do want to make sure I do make it to the Legion Theater at least once. Our hotel is quite close to it, but there are not a lot of must-sees there. It does seem like I have allowed more breaks to get a real meal than usual. Normally, I tend to make that call in the moment and blow off a screening.

Thursday

Early Evening

In the Thursday early evening matchup, my media pass does not get me into the Opening night screening of E.T. The Extraterrestrial, so that is not an option. That leaves The Harvey Girls vs. The Slender Thread in the top bracket. Me, I like a good musical, but to be honest The Harvey Girls is not one of my favorites. The Slender Thread I hadn't heard of until I read the description. The Slender Thread is a very good drama, with Sydney Poitier as a volunteer on a suicide hotline who has to try to talk down/locate suicidal Anne Bancroft. I've only seen it once and it was very good/would be great on the big screen. In the bottom bracket, we have two films from the 80s vs. the Pre-Code, Jewel Robbery. For me, a movie from the 80s is going to need to be pretty special to beat out a Pre-Code. Also, at TCMFF, I usually place an emphasis on films I haven't seen in the theater. I have seen Fast Times in the theater, and while Tender Mercies sounds interesting, I can't see it over William Powell as a jewel theif who gives weed to his victims.

To be honest, I would be perfectly happy with either The Slender Thread or Jewel Robbery with a slight edge to the latter. My only concern is that Jewel Robbery is in the dreaded Chinese Multiplex 6, Theater 4. The smallest screen at TCMFF. I'm going with Jewel Robbery, but I'll be ready to pivot to The Slender Thread if need be.

Late Evening

The next block is kind of a no brainer for me. While I do think the 1937 A Star Is Born is the definitive version, I love the Rock Hudson/Doris Day films, and Lover Come Back is my favorite of the three. I'll be there, possibly with home-made VIP to give out.



Friday

Morning

There really is only one choice here. The Jungle Book with two very strong incentives, Floyd Norman introducing, and it being the only film being screened at the El Capitan. Without those two things, it would be a tough choice between The Jungle Book and The Gunfighter. As it is, The Jungle Book all the way.





Mid-Day

This block is all about timing. With The Jungle Book getting out when it does, my only viable options are Tootsie, Coming Home, and skipping Spy Smasher Strikes Back and going to A Little Song, A Little Dance. I do like Tootsie, but Coming Home, not so much. Still, a 15-minute transition might not be do-able. I'm thinking better to pick up something quick to eat, maybe, try to catch some of Looney Tunes in Hollywood at Club TCM, and then A Little Song, A Little Dance. Plus, it's a chance to see something rare on the big screen.   



Afternoon

I have seen Pride of the Yankees, good movie, but did not do a whole lot for me. Queen Bee sounds interesting, but Lilies of the Field is a sure thing, and it puts my butt in the Legion Theater for the first time. The Pajama Game, we have the DVD, I didn't make it through. All of Me I only saw the first time about a year ago. It was utterly charming. Still, I think Lilies of the Field is going to have me trekking up the hill to the Legion Theater.





Early Evening

Giant has always bored the crap out of me. It's Always Fair Weather, not a lot better, so The Letter more or less gets a by. I saw Nebraska, good and I would want to see Bruce Dern, but I still would rather see either Cocktail Hour or Soylent Green more. I have never see a pool screening start to finish. This is not the time though. Bette Davis coming out on the porch shooting a gun empty. No way I'm missing this.



Late Evening

Fatal Attraction scared the crap out of me back when. I don't know whether I want to go through that again, so The Gay Divorcee moves forward. I, the Jury would be my first choice here, but I hate 3D, always me feel slightly nauseous. Cooley High was good, and I would love to see the actors, but I think maybe this is the time to skip a block and get some real food. Also, give me a chance to rebuild my energy for the midnight movie.



Midnight

I honestly can't imagine trying to do both midnight movies at TCMFF, just not going to happen. Of the two, Miracle Mile, which I knew virtually nothing about until the schedule dropped, is the clear winner.


Saturday

Morning

I love Cary Grant, and Sophia Loren is gorgeous, but Houseboat has never done a thing for. While Too Busy to Work sounds interesting, The Third Man is easily my favorite Orson Welles film, and one of my top film noirs. I love Angels with Dirty Faces. It's a gangster film, but also kind of a melodrama, but in a good way. Easily, I take that over Return of the Secaucas Seven. Well, I saw The Third Man in the theater a few years ago. I doubt I'm ever going to get a chance to see Angels with Dirty Faces on the big screen again. 



Mid-Day

Annie is one of those musicals that misses the mark for me. Three on a Match I know I have seen a handful of times, but to be honest, it's one of those ones where I had to look up the movie to figure what it was about. To Kill a Mocking Bird, I have to watch everytime it comes on. The Last of Sheila never really grabbed me. To be honest, not really a fan of whodunits, they tend obfuscate the plot to keep the audience in the dark, so unless, it has very compelling characters, I tend to tune out. The Flame and the Arrow is a fun little adventure movie. Normally, that would not be enough to sway me over To Kill a Mocking Bird, but Ben Burtt and Craig Barron are doing a presentation before it, and their stuff is always great. The Flame and the Arrow it is.



Afternoon

Admitted, A Man Called Adam is good, but it doesn't stand up to the competition here. I've seen The Wizard of Oz in the theater several times, and while it would be awesome, I love the way Somewhere In Time blends time travel and romance. I saw a little bit of The Tall T by accident last week, and what I saw was very good, but Baby Face is about as good as Pre-Code gets, so it moves forward. Did I mention the Somewhere in Time is one of my wife's favorite movies, so there you go.


Early Evening

To be honest, about the only thing really blowing my kilt up here is Invaders from Mars, and I think using the extra time to get a real meal is a good call.



Late Evening

I saw Singin' in the Rain at TCMFF several years ago. It was awesome, but I think I could get by a few more years before seeing it again. I'm actually fairly indifferent to Force of Evil and Portrait of Jennie, but I do have to make a choice. On the other hand, Drunken Master was one of my top picks before the schedule dropped. I did see it in the theater in the 90s, complete with bad subtitles. Back then, Hong Kong action movies were all subtitled in English and Chinese (written Chinese was common to all of the spoken Chinese dialects). The English was often riddled with typos and sometimes spilled on the ends on both sides, and if someone was wearing a white shirt, almost impossible to read. Hopefully, that's been fixed by now.

Midnight

I have seen Polyester in the theater as a midnight movie, and in Odorama, back when. I was very funny is spots, but I also found it very hit or miss, so I'm going to try to hit the bar instead. 

Sunday

Morning

I'm not goin to waste a lot of time discussing this. When you get a chance to see a Thin Man movie in the theater, you take it.

Mid-Day

High Noon easily gets past Peggy Sue Got Married, and to me, Fly-By-Night looks better than Popi. Truth be told, while High Noon is good, I'm not a huge fan. I'll go with an unknown comedy, Fly-By-Night.



Afternoon

When there were only about thirty films announced, The Sting was my top choice. That has not changed at all. I saw it in theater once, when I was about 12. I'm even doing The Sting-related swag, and no, I'm still not telling. The only thing that gives me pause is that it wipes out the possibility of four of the six To Be Announced slots (represented by the wildcard/clown girl graphics).



Early Evening

This is one of the tougher choices for me. A League of Their Own is a great film, but against a silent with live accompaniment, it pops up and subject to the infield fly rule is out, not advancing the base runners. Then you have, Coffy and Pam Grier. This is the time, I'm going to let celebrity sway me, Coffy all the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment