Thursday, January 12, 2017

First Batch of TCMFF Films/SpecialGuest Drop

Yesterday, TCM finally announced the first batch of films and special guests for the 2017 TCM Classic Film Festival (TCMFF), April 6 to 9, 2017. For what it's worth, these are my top 5 of what's been announced so far. I've been down this road often enough to know that anything I say here should be taken with a grain of salt. With 22  films announced, this would account for roughly a quarter of the films being shown. By the time the final schedule drops a few weeks out from the festival, it's likely that only one or two of these films will still make my top 5, but it is kind of fun to speculate, so here we go.

5. Palm Beach Story – Although not my favorite of the Preston Sturges film, it is still very good and bound to be even better on the big screen with an audience at TCMFF.

4. Beyond the Mouse: The 1930s Cartoons of Ub Iwerks – The historical presentations at TCMFF are usually spectacular, and I expect no less here. I'm a huge fan of cartoons. I grew up on a combination of Warner Brothers and Fleischer Studios cartoons everyday after school as a kid. This is a natural for me.

3. Speedy – This might have slipped under the radar. Yes, I do love silent comedies, and Speedy is of the best, but what really makes it for me is a live accompaniment by the Alloy Orchestra, which will include junk percussion (I assume this means banging on pots and pans or similar) and musical saws. Bound to be a hoot.

2. Arsenic and Old Lace – This is one of my favorite comedies and one my favorite Cary Grant movies. Also, I have never seen it on the big screen. That makes for a winning combination in my book.

1. Born Yesterday  – Again, one of my favorites and have never seen on the big screen. Even though I've seen it 30 times, I still laugh my butt off at it. Add to that a TCMFF audience and, hopefully, a vintage theater, and we're in store for a real treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment