Thursday, January 22, 2015

µBlog – 10K Tweets and I Have #TCMParty to Thank

µBlog – Too long to tweet, too short to call a real post

Last night, a pretty big milestone (for me anyway) came and went, and even I didn't notice it until this morning. I posted my 10,000th tweet. I gotta say I was pretty late to hop on the Twitter bandwagon. By the time I created a Twitter account, most people had already moved on.

I'm not even sure why I did it in the first place. I knew going in that it was on its way out. I know that part of the reason I joined was that one of my Comic-Con cronies was always on twitter and this was a good way to see what she was up to. In the beginning, I wasn't what you call active. I did one or two tweets a day, and but then would have lapses of weeks/months at a time where I did nothing.

I half heartedly kept at it, most because I didn't want to seem like a flake. Kind of odd really, I mean who cares if you're a flake and never update your twitter feed when you have 23 followers. Still, I tried to tough it out. Since I was at least fairly active and would follow people in hopes that they would follow me back, I started to pick up followers.

I'm not sure exactly when it was but I think it was about 2 years ago, I stumbled on the #TCMParty hashtag. I'm pretty sure I was on the couch watching TCM, online with my laptop, checking twitter and noticed that someone in my feed was watching the same movie I was and talking about it using the #TCMParty hashtag. Well, I clicked on the hashtag and jumped in on the conversation. That was I'm guessing better than 9,500 tweets ago.

The #TCMParty hashtag started back in 2011, and they post a schedule each week on the TCM Party Tumbler  page. To be honest, I almost never check the schedule. I think it has taken on a life of its own. All I know is when I get home from work I turn on TCM and search on the hashtag, and there is almost always somebody online talking about whatever is on.

Looking at my twitter feed, easily better than 90% of my tweets contain the hashtag, including my 10,000th, We were watching a 1940 Bette Davis/Charles Boyer film, called All This and Heaven Too. The married Boyer had just told his children's governess, Davis, that he wanted to go away with her. My response (Tweet # 10,000):

If you were to go away with me, you would just systematically drive me insane.  #AllThisAndHeavenToo #TCMParty

It wasn't a great film, at least I didn't think so, but it was a good #TCMParty, a lot of Gaslight references.

No comments:

Post a Comment